The BBC’s James Reynolds has placed a partial translation of the Chinese government’s advice to citizens if taken hostage by terrorists.
What should you do after being kidnapped by terrorists?
- Keep calm. Don’t resist. Believe the government
- Don’t make eye contact with or speak to the terrorists. Bend your body down to the ground slowly
- Try to keep and hide your telecommunication device. Put your mobile phone into silent mode at the appropriate moment and send messages to police or call 110. If you send a text message, the content should include your location, the number of hostages, and the number of terrorists
- Pay attention to the number of terrorists and remember who their leader is for subsequent investigations
- At the moment of the police action, try your best to bend down and leave under the police protection