Norm has meme-tagged me:
1. Name one book that changed your life
Almost certainly one of the battered little Peter and Jane volumes.
2. One book you’ve read more than once
Sol Stein – Solutions for novelists. If you read this book you will lay it down after reading it with the notion firmly implanted in your brain that writing a work of fiction is as easy and enjoyable as dashing off a quick postcard to an old friend. It’s not: but Stein’s siren song is corrupting enough to keep me going back for more.
3. On book you’d want on a desert island
4. One book that made you laugh
1066 And All That.
5. One book that made you cry
George Mackay Brown’s Orcadian melancholia is catching if you are susceptible to that sort of thing.
6. One book you wish you’d written
The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst
7. One book you wish had never been written
Mein Kampf by A. Hitler.
8. One book you’re currently reading
I have a slovenly habit of reading several books simultaneously. My bedside table usually has a stack of those currently on the go reaching a foot into the air. I’ve nearly finished The Mitford Girls by Mary Lovell, Millions of Women Are Waiting to Meet You by Sean Thomas, and a biography of Slobodan Milosovic by fellow Harry’s Place poster Adam Le Bor.
9 One book you’ve been meaning to read
Tartuffe by Moliere
10. Now tag five people